No updates to be made, because I spent the entire day working on org2blog. I actually kinda liked it. A lot.
I’ve now rewritten the XML-RPC back-end to use the new, documented, WordPress API. Right at the moment, this is just running-in-place, but I hope to use the new code to simplifying things more.
Instead, I spent the time I would normally allocate to writing something for “Do you even lisp?” to enhancing org2blog, the software I’m using to manage this blog.
Well, enhancing might be saying a lot—since I’ve been doing a little WordPress hacking in other contexts, I’ve become aware of WordPress’ new (released with 3.4, so only six months old at this time) “native” XML-RPC API, and I chose to start moving
org2blog to use that, and move it away from the hodge-podge of
metaWeblog APIs that are currently in use.
I hope that over time this will simplify the API, and perhaps result in even better possibilities for interaction—it would, of course, also be great if we could start to abstract away the specifics of a blog’s back-end requirements into a well-defined API so we could easily use whatever is the most featureful back-end for a given blog.
Others might see if differently; we’ll know when I start sending in merge requests.
I also want to automate the process of storing local copies of articles in a hierarchy that mirrors their permalinks and a couple of other things. That I’m also effectively learning elisp at the same time will make all of that very interesting.